• Picture: Welcome to the Shire of Tammin
    Overlay
    Welcome to the Shire of Tammin

About Tammin

Tammin GazeboTammin was first settled in 1893 by John Packham with more settlers arriving in the 1900’s. The town of Tammin was gazetted in 1899.

The name “TAMMIN” means grandmother or grandfather according to the “Descriptive Vocabulary of Aborigines of WA” by G F Moore. Other theories are, that Tammin was named after the Tamma, a small animal that once inhabited the area or the Tamma bush which grows throughout the district.

European settlement continued to grow and with the completion of the Goldfields Water Supply and the railway line to Kalgoorlie, the township grew along with necessary shops and facilities.

Yorkrakine, 30km north of Tammin, became a small township with a post office, store and hall.

In 1948 Tammin became a Road Board in its own right, having previously been part of the Meckering Road Boards and later the Cunderdin-Meckering-Tammin Road Boards. With the change in Local Government Act it became the Shire of Tammin in 1961.

In 1987 a Company known as Farmdale was formed with fifty shareholders from the Community purchasing the local hotel and a garage. This was done to retain both in the town. The garage and hotel have since been sold.

There is a local history book, edited by Des Repton, entitled “Wheat, Wool & Wodjil” which is available for purchase from the Shire Office.

Latest News

  • EXPRESSION OF INTEREST | SUBSIDISED Seedlings | Fencing | Pest Control in 2018

    Native seedlings, fencing and assistance for pest control may be offered to eligible landholders wishing to protect and restore existing vegetation, create wildlife corridors to connect fragmented remnants and control invasive pest animals in 2018.

    Read More...

  • GET INVOLVED in OUR Shire's Future!!

    Please complete our 5 - 10 minute survey.

    We look forward to your responses.

    Copy the link to begin the survey or click read more. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3BF2SJC

    Read More...